6/22/08

Patterns

Shunzo, an old student of mine who now lives in Japan, sent me some great stuff recently. Way back almost 13 years ago I had him working out of a book by an old teacher of mine. This book has long since gone out of print and I thought that I'd never find it again. The book featured very nice Jazz phrases over several different types of chords. There were a page of different phrases for each key. What Shunzo has done is transpose every phrase to every key. This gives around 144 great phrases in every key for each type of chord, a gold mine of ideas.

Well done Shunzo san!

Altered
Augmented
Blues
Dominant
Half Diminished
Major
Minor
Minor 7th

Check out Shunzo's great Saxophilia site. He has a ton of great mouthpieces for sale.

2 comments:

Robert E. Lee said...

You are a gift from God! I have never in many years of searching seen what is essentially a version of one of the holy grails of jazz mastery in all keys. I think your gift to us here is absolutely amazing, for every level of player.

And thanks.
Robert E. Lee
Jazz Flutist
Chicago

David Carlos Valdez said...

Wow, what can I say?